RAF Bawdsey ‘Pkd’ R3 GCI Rotor Radar Station
RAF Bawdsey has long been associated with RADAR, as in 1935, Bawdsey Manor in Suffolk was used as a research station to develop radio direction findings. Directly from this research, a Chain Home Radar station was designed on-site. The installation was subsequently handed over to the RAF in 1937. RAF Bawdsey was active throughout the war years with Chain Home, Chain Home Low and Coastal Defence radars and was one of the only sites in the UK during WW2 that operated all three types of radar.
Date Of Visit: 21/12/13