This complex of tunnels covers over 3 miles and was started in 1941 as an underground factory for the Rover Car Company, who were manufacturing aeroplane engines at the time. Within this complex of tunnels were dormitories, toilets, workshops, offices, electrical equipment and even a BBC studio as well as other ancillary areas.
After the Second World War, the Drakelow Tunnels were initially used for storage, but by 1958 it had been designated a Regional Seat of Government (RSG). As time progressed, the tunnels became a Sub-Regional Control (SRC), Sub-Regional Headquarters (SRHQ) and finally Regional Government Headquarters (RGHQ).
Drakelow underwent a major refurbishment in the 1980s, but only a small area of the complex was designated for use. Part of thie refurbishment included the fitting of new blast doors on the bunker instead of the original wooden factory doors which had remained in place until this time.
The Drakelow Tunnels remained in use until 1993, when they were decommissioned and sold. Today a Preservation Trust is attempting to ensure that this major Cold War feature is not lost, but remains intact for future generations to help understand this period of history.
Date Of Visit: 27/11/11