Eastry Chalk Mine
Eastry Chalk Mine was started in 1811 as a lime-burning business and remained in production until 1914. Access to the mine was originally via a shaft, but as the mine developed, a sloping tunnel was dug that emerged close to the limekiln. Mining ceased when local villagers began to voice their concerns that their properties were in danger of collapse because of the mining beneath them. The tunnels were then used to hold local festivities.
The Home Guard used sections of the mine as a rifle range during the Second World War. After this the mine was open to the public for a while and it was in this period that two paintings were done on the walls.
Condition: Very Good
Date Of Visit: 05/04/09