Built in 1805, Dymchurch Redoubt forms one end of the Martello Tower system and was originally armed with eleven 24-pounder guns. The Redoubt is circular in shape and is 220ft across. The interior casemates surrounding the central parade are parabolic in design, typical of the 1805 period. In 1854, the Redoubt was garrisoned by 8 officers and 320 men.
With renewed French threat in the 1860’s, Dymchurch Redoubt was in the ideal place to provide protection for the flat beaches between Dymchurch and Hythe, the very place Napoleon would probably have planned to land his invading troops. During World War Two anti-aircraft guns were added to the Redoubt, along with machine gun posts for local defence.
Location: Dymchurch, Kent
Date Of Visit: 03/11/07