Llanberis Ammo Store
A disused slate quarry near Llanberis in North Wales proved to be an ideal site for use as an ammunition store, and at the outbreak of World War II the site was procured for the storage of bombs. The quarry was ideal as it already had deep pits in place, all linked by connecting tunnels. Rails already ran into the lower levels, making deliveries to the ammo store much easier and quicker, and electric lifts moved bombs from the lower level upwards. The abundant broken slate around the area was utilised to provide overhead air raid protection by piling it to a depth of 40 feet.
A collapse in 1942 engulfed a major part of the store, after which Llanberis was no longer used as a storage area for large bombs. Incendiary devices were kept here for the remainder of the war, and the store was finally closed in 1956.
In the 1960s and 70’s a concerted effort was made to entirely clear the site of any buried explosives still in and around the site, including a great many which were found at the bottom of the quarry lake.
Location: Llanberis, Wales
Date Of Visit: 08/03/08