Fan Bay Deep Shelter, Dover
This shelter is at the site of Fan Bay Battery, a WWII site originally comprising 3 x 6″ guns with associated magazines, shelters, plotting room, administration and accommodation areas. Today only traces of the gun pits can be discerned among the undergrowth, and all surface buildings have been demolished. However there is still extensive underground remains at this site, the largest being the deep shelter.
However there is still extensive underground remains at this site, the largest being the deep shelter, constructed in 1941 by No.172 Tunnelling Coy., Royal Engineers, which can still be accessed via a hole in the ground where the upper entrance once stood. Completed on the 28th of August 1941, it was designed to accommodate 4 officers and 185 other ranks.
All of the stores, weapons and associated metal was removed during the mid 50’s by Bird’s Commercial Motors Ltd.