Designed as a heavy battery during the First World War, Fletcher Battery was actually not completed until 1918. It provided effectual fire cover for the Nore anchorage and Sheerness Dockyards, giving effective protection to the Thames Estuary. It was not armed until 1919 and in 1941 a new emplacement was added to mount the third gun. An unusual set of interlocking pill boxes can also be found at the western end of the site.
Fletcher Battery marks the end of the construction of this type of fortification in the Medway area. Coastal artillery was disbanded soon after the end of the Second World War and Fletcher Battery became a caravan site. The ancillary buildings on the site are still in excellent condition thanks to the care taken during their construction and the fact they have seen constant use. observation points and a number of other buildings the Navy had constructed during the HMS Wildfire expansion phase. While the original emplacements are still visible, the magazines are sealed off.
Location: Sheerness, Isle of Sheppey
Date Of Visit: 21/09/07