Canterbury Battle Headquarters

Built by the 171 tunnelling company of the Royal Engineers in World War Two as part of the preparations in 1940. Other similar bases were also established at Reigate, Tunbridge Wells and Sarre. The complex consists of two parallel stairways leading to the collapsed sections of the complex. Even in the construction of the site the 171 Tunnelling Coy come into many difficulties.