Golden Hill Fort
Hexagonal in shape, construction of Golden Hill Fort took place between 1863 and 1868 at the top of Golden Hill on the Isle of Wight. Its main purpose was as a defensible barracks and as a keep for the batteries defending the Needles passage. It was not designed to withstand a sustained bombardment, but provided barrack accommodation for the gunners of the two nearby batteries at Cliff End and Warden Point, as well as being a central point for defending troops should an enemy force have landed on the Island. It was planned for 18 light guns on the roof of the fort but on completion, Golden Hill Fort was armed with 6 x 40pr RBLs.
The ditch is protected by caponiers and counterscarp galleries. As with many forts, the purpose of Golden Hill Fort changed throughout its active use and in 1888 it became a gunnery school. During the First World War the fort saw use as an infantry training depot and was a depot for British and Canadian infantry troops during the Second World War. After the war Golden Hill Fort fell into disuse and was sold in 1962. It saw various industrial and commercial uses and is currently being converted to luxury apartments.
Location: Isle of Wight
Date Of Visit: 07/06/09