Grain Dummy Battery

This battery was constructed as a supporting structure for Grain Fort and was originally known as Grain Battery. However, considerable difficulties were encountered during construction due to subsidence, which led to the cracking of the magazine walls. It was decided to finish the battery in temporary form only, and the original design for fourteen armoured shields was scrapped. By 1905 the battery had been rebuilt, with many gun emplacements removed, and improvements made to the two positions that can be seen today. The battery was surrounded by a ditch, which soon became flooded. There is no evidence of this battery being in use in either the First or Second World Wars.

Location: Isle of Grain, Kent
Condition: Poor
Date Of Visit: 2/06/03

error: Alert: Content selection is disabled!!